Merits of Surah Baqarah
FaQR Halaqa -March 30, 2013
- Surah Baqarah is the longest surah in the Holy Quran
- It contains a large number of injunctions
Our Holy Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alaihi wa aalihi wasallam) has said: "Make a habit of reading the Surah Baqarah, for reading it brings down on you the barakah, or the blessings of Allah, and neglecting is a matter of regret, and a misfortune. And men of falsehood cannot overcome it."
- Men of falsehood refers to the sorcerers...and the implication here is that a person who reads surah Baqarah becomes immune to the effect of black magic.
- Holy Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alaihi wasallam) has said: "satan flees from the house in which this surah is read or recited".
- This surah is the apex of the Holy Quran and a retinue of eighty thousand angels accompanied each of its ayaat when it was revealed
- The ayah that enjoys superiority over all other verses of the Holy Quran is the ayat-al-Kursi (The verse of the Throne). Ayah 255
- Ten verses of this surah have such an efficacy that if one recites them at night, neither satan nor the jinn will enter one's house, nor would one or one's family be afflicted with illness or calamity or sorrow that night, and if they are recited on a man suffering from a fit of madness, his condition will improve.
- the ten verses are: first four of the surah Baqarah (1-4), three in the middle (255-257), and the last three verses of the surah (283-286).
May Allah SWT help us to follow them. ameen
- Read Ayat-al-Kursi abundantly with every salah
- Read Manzil at night before sleeping or any time once a day inshAllah
- Recite Surah Baqara often, for it keeps satan away from our homes. ameen
- learn the injunctions/prohibitions and follow them with earnest intentions inshAllah
Resources: www.islamicstudies.info/maarif pg. 96